chorleyjeff

Brinscall Plantation during snowfall

A few weeks ago I retreated into Brinscall plantations to avoid falling snow. Luckily I had my tripod to steady my shots. I was freezing cold with wet feet and no gloves so handheld would have been dodgy !  I am aware of blown highlights but tried to get the feel of the place.

Jeff

brinscall plantation  (1 of 1).jpg

brinscall plantation 3 (1 of 1).jpg

• Like 4

I like the PP of the second one - quite attractive in a strange way.

The layer of snow on top of the branches is quite effective.  Not sure whether I prefer the "dark" one of the "light" one - they're both really good.
Can I suggest removing the colour on the light one? - the green leaves in the bottom left corner draw the eye a bit.

I think the darker one just shaves it for me.

14 hours ago, Hatter said:

The layer of snow on top of the branches is quite effective.  Not sure whether I prefer the "dark" one of the "light" one - they're both really good.
Can I suggest removing the colour on the light one? - the green leaves in the bottom left corner draw the eye a bit.

Yes !

I kept minimal colour in them for the prints I did which worked OK for me, but I take your point about the green  attracting the eye.

12 hours ago, Ryewolf said:

I think the darker one just shaves it for me.

And me.

But interested in thoughts of others re the light  toned ne.

I think both have their own individual attributes  Jeff.  On #2  maybe the green leaves  need desaturating just a mere tad on their own to make them less obvious but I wouldn’t convert to mono tone entirely as the hint of colour is part of  the reason that this is almost a natural monotone image in real life... and that is harder to find than  just pressing a button or flicking a switch on a camera or computer . We can all do that .  Two very  fine images  Jeff .

3 hours ago, Clicker said:

I think both have their own individual attributes  Jeff.  On #2  maybe the green leaves  need desaturating just a mere tad on their own to make them less obvious but I wouldn’t convert to mono tone entirely as the hint of colour is part of  the reason that this is almost a natural monotone image in real life... and that is harder to find than  just pressing a button or flicking a switch on a camera or computer . We can all do that .  Two fine images  Jeff .

Thanks for kind comments. I deliberately did not completely desaturated as I felt more comfortable with a picture what it was actually like there. The colour is more noticeable in the prints but not by much.

Jeff

Yeah I ‘m with you on keeping the element of colour ..albeit that it is muted and barely evident ... as you say ... that’s what it really looks like ... .