Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Red kites at gigrin

Rybear

I love going to gigrin farm to see the kites but I really struggle to get sharp pics 

650 images... Only a couple are useable

Wish I had the money for a lens upgrade but I don't so my Sony a68 and tamron 70-300sp will have to do 

FB_IMG_1554588464968.jpg

FB_IMG_1554588497668.jpg

FB_IMG_1554588491899.jpg

FB_IMG_1554588471287.jpg

Well I  would have killed to have had one as  clear as that second one in flight Ryland ...      I will really have to get my settings right for  doing this ...  where is Roger when we need him ...lol 

10 hours ago, Clicker said:

Well I  would have killed to have had one as  clear as that second one in flight Ryland ...      I will really have to get my settings right for  doing this ...  where is Roger when we need him ...lol 

The approach explained to me by a wildlife photographer is to set the camera to Manual so that you can select shutter speed to suit the action and Aperture to maintain DOF (especially with a very long lens) and rely on Auto ISO to get the exposure right.  A bit more difficult in poor light but in his view, a noisy shot was better than no shot at all.  Sounds about right to me but all I have to do is to remember to set up the camera accordingly.  The trouble is that I generally forget and it turns into one of those "I should have done" moments.

That's what I did.. Manual.. 1250of a second.. F6. 3 and auto iso.... And let the Camera sort it... It's the focusing I have a problem with as they are so fast and unpredictable.. My new camera is a lot faster focusing than my old one but it's still not fast enough for these birds

My problem is that I wait  patiently for a couple of hours waiting for the kites to fly within range of my lens which seems to be hardly ever and then the minute I  give up, pack the camera away or change the lens to get at least a landscape for my troubles,  the ruddy things seem to practically tease me by flying close enough for me to see what they ate for breakfast !!! ... As an old chemistry teacher once said to me ( I hated Chemistry) , “Polly must try harder to achieve  the results she has thinks  she deserves”.  Grrrr  !!!

No I haven't been there ... just checked the map ... I went to the one in the Brecon beacons a couple of years ago and was a bit disappointed ... Gigrin Farm  is only  65 miles away so I am earmarking that for a decent day out soon ... Thanks ... The  website looks like it's a good place to see plenty of them... Thanks ..   

I went to the one in the Brecon beacons a few weeks ago as its closer to me.. It's ok but nothing like gigrin there must have been over 200 birds there.. It's an awesome spectacle.. Next time I go I'm gonna pay extra and try a photography hide and see if that makes it easier 

A little further North just outside Aberystwyth there is also kite feeding at bwlch nant yr arian forest. There is a hide on a first come basis no charge (yes thats the tight Yorkshireman in me before anyone else says it), entrance fee is just car parking fee and a really nice cafe we went 3 times while on holiday last year. I also had about 2 good shots from hundreds so I feel your pain but saying that your second pic is a stunner.

Archived