Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

SMALL TOWN VIEWS

FUJI

Both of these views are within about eight minutes of our house...the first shows Kenilworth  Castle from the road.

The second...Looking down into town from the Abbey End...not very picturesque you might think...it isn't..  because in 1941.a Nazi Landmine devastated all that was in the foreground right down to and just past the..Clock Tower... the top of which was blown completely off..so we have hitler to thank for hideous 1960s shops and later 1980s rubbish on the left and right.

This is the first time I've played with HDR for ages...it works for these....

CASTLE_FROM_FORD_1__colour_hdr_.jpg

KENILWORTH_FROM_ABBEY_END__colour_hdr_.jpg

I  like the castle image a lot, you ought to do more landscape foojbut that is also a good view of your town, pity you can't find an old photo of the same view before the landmine altered the scene completely. 

Here you go Denis...

The last pic shows almost the same view pre-war  both the others  were taken the day after the raid..... sadly many people  sheltering from the Coventry Blitz were in the Globe Hotel...it was totally destroyed....my friends grandparents were killed too that night.

the first pic here was taken about 100 yards die]snow from where I took my hdr pic.

I must acknowledge the copyright holders here....posted for information  and historic purposes only.

FUJI

47B2D904-D71B-4082-8AB0-575F7A3F40F7.png

54D09782-27F6-46A9-923B-8CFB1BA85D78.jpeg

BEC5D798-D7CA-429F-910C-6BD72E27C91D.jpeg

This is a great comparison Fooj ! well done for ferreting those out :)

Those landmines were in fact ordinary parachute dropped sea mines, but the Luftwaffe quickly realised that they made very effective blast bombs that detonated in the air. Most used were the Luftmine B  which was about 1000kg with a length of 8ft 8in long. One was found near London a few years ago and was detonated off of the Kent coast...it measured 3.1 on the Richter scale when the explosion was registered !

One came down in my home town in 1941 and didnt detonate, it was defused and put on show at the town fair, it was only discovered later that day that the barometric fuse had been removed, but not the eight day timer fuse that was still live. It was hastily taken to a nearby gravel pit on a lorry where it self detonated a few hours later causing damage to many of the houses in Croft Road, Ware.

Thanks Denis..... Yes, this parachute mines were among the first of hitler’s indiscriminate terror weapons.... the parachute ensured that accurate targeting was impossible, so they just exploded wherever the wind took them.... Coincidentally, I am currently re-reading three huge volumes of detailed WWII history entitled.... Then and Now..... this c=valuable set, detail every known incident/raid by the Luftwaffe, including names of all the crews, the British planes and crews including hundreds of detailed photographs.

At around the same time three stray land mines exploded in fields not too far from our wartime  house, we were ok, but my best mate ( still) who, like me was  almost three at the time had his Pram  crushed by their front door as it blew inwards....he survived ...as did his mum and siblings... .houses all around lost their windows.

Our dad’s we’re away fighting....we saw them once in six years.....how our mum’s coped is difficult to imagine.....I often look back, and wonder.

No wonder we oldies can be so stoic, and can retain our sense of humour..... 

Memories! Memories!

FUJI

Two nice ones Fuji - really like the castle - I look back on the ones I took when I was there with you very, very often!

Great follow up for the second one too with those very nostalgic pictures, thanks for sharing them. 

Archived