johntwo

Holy Island Boat Hulls

I always find this so sad that such a beautiful piece of art is just left to rot away, but also so pleased that the owner has left it for us arty types to capture its beauty, as you have here, and really done her justice,-- its beautiful mono John ,

Geoff

A beautiful mono-shot johntwo, it's very possible the hut is made from a leaky boat hull, it was a common trick for seamen at the time 😉

A very nice mono conversion, I've never been to Lindisfarne, though I did go to Berwick Upon Tweed a few years back.

Intrigued by this as I am quite certain this setting was used in the TV detective series 'Vera' in the last two or three years. ...apart from that it is a great image John, something about old boats that..floats my boat !

10 hours ago, johntwo said:

P.S. This is one of those images that is sharper when viewed in the Lightbox.

It is noticeably sharper, isn't it?  I wonder why.
Very well-presented, John.

That’s a really well crafted mono John ... and the composition  lends a lot of balance to the tones ..  

A classic, mono study..... 

You have managed to avoid the...Cliche trap....look that far too many photographers fall in to....your choice of background and angle of shooting have ensured that.

FUJI

I'd have thought that the background houses would spoil the image, but they don't - they add to it. Nice composition, well seen and converted.

I was lucky when i visited. The tide allowed me the sunset, then back to mainland to a B &B, then to return again for sunrise.  I was up before dawn and sneakily parked where im not supposed to. Got lovely images of sunup over the castle and these upturned boats

Thanks all for the comments.

WereBo, it is a common practice in that part of the world.  The beach area is littered them and the area is well known for them.

I think I recall Vera nosing around there as well Denis. 

Hatter, It's a mystery to me because it doesn't seem to apply to all images.  I haven't found out what image property causes it to apply.  It doesn't seem to be the degree to which the image size has been reduced from the original before posting for instance.

Heck Chrissy, the only thing that gets me out of bed for sunrise is if the bed in the billet is uncomfortable.  Lets see the results.  After that effort, they deserve to be admired.

Nice one John - and I agree that the buildings in the background add, and do not detract from the picture as a whole.