Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Using a camera in extreme weather conditions ...

I’m shortly off for a weeks shoot in the Alps where temperatures are regularly up to -15 degrees C ....  I am conscious of  the effects these temperatures can have on battery life etc keeping spares warm in pockets etc and the camera and most lenses I am taking are weatherproof ...  Any advice  on techniques for snowscapes , action pics of snowboarders etc ,how to avoid condensation damage etc  or anything that you think I ought to have thought of before going ... has anyone found good  gloves/ mitts that allow you to expose your fingers when required .. 

The only area that I can offer a suggestion for is gloves.  I have two pairs.  The RSBP/nature reserve shops generally stock mits which allow you to temporarily flip back the bit covering your finger ends.  I've also seen similar for sale in Scandinavia and so you might find some in the Alpine regions.  Alternatively, our eldest bought me  a pair of neoprene cycling  gloves which have the finger ends missing.  The former would be better in extreme cold I suspect.

Edited by johntwo

Thanks John...  I  i have seen various  ones about online   but before I buy I want to see if any of you have any recommendations .. appreciate  the input John ...  I haven't much experience at all of "white "  conditions  for photography at the top of the  slopes s and I want to avoid that  grey  blue look  that seems to happen   sometimes ... 

I'm probably teaching you suck eggs but expose primarily for the whites because once the highlight detail has been blown you won't recover it  whereas you can generally lift the shadows.  Also if it is appropriate, adjust the dynamic range setting in the X-T3 to suite the conditions.  Finally, make sure you have a good quality UV filter fitted.  An ordinary lens protection filter won't hack it.  There is a lot of blue around in the mountains.

• Like 1

Hmmm I dont use uv Filters  since going digital I have to admit ......I only ever used them for Film....I have read all sorts of differing views on them and wonder how much they  can compromise  the precision glass you have with a good lens ....I suppose the quality and costs determine what is a really good UV FILTER  .What do you use John ? As I am going by car, also debating whether to take all my lenses seeing as I 'm not carrying them through airports etc  

Just found this live webcam for the slopes and the village where the apartment is  ....Brrrrr

https://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Niederau/webcams/latest

Never detected a problem clicks.  All my lenses bar a fish eye are protected using UV  filters.  The fish eye isn't designed to take filters.  The recent train shots taken at Dent Station were through a the better quality Hoya filters (they have two price levels) and I promise you none of the shot had any sharpening applied.

• Like 1

Thanks  Rye ...   I just want to make sure I get the best out of the camera and lenses as I know years ago a friend of a colleague of mine had problems with a camera getting condensation inside due to going from extreme cold to  a warmer environment too quickly...  I’m taking all my lenses  and I may be out in exposed areas for long periods of time ... I’ll have to make sure they don’t warm up too fast ..   The camera and some of the lenses are known as weather resistant  but I hadn’t really thought of condensation as we don’t often have prolonged periods of temperature  of minus 6-10 degrees C  when I would take the camera out for hours at a time     Am I overthinking  this ?

I did a bit of Googleing and in every case this tip was on the list, put your camera and lens in an airtight sealable bag whilst outside before going inside and leave in the coldest part of the room for several hours. Apparently the condensation then forms on the outside of the bag and not on the camera. Most of the websites were dealing with photographing in Canada where it can get as cold as -40.