Kobione

I'm big, I'm mean, so stay away......

Was topping up all our bird watering spots this morning when I saw this on the spout of a watering can. This is not one of our usual meat ants, about triple the size and very mean looking. Just a grab shot as I had the TZ in hand:

P1000344b.thumb.jpg.f01317f9fd379d3c46bad19707b99a64.jpg

• Like 4

Flippin heck!! This looks big, Paul would have a field day photographing these. I have ants living near my front door, they are tiny - only a few millimetres long.

...estimated at about a foot long Rye ! :)

• Haha 1

Jeez.... look at the size of those mandibles !... So are those meat eaters too Dee

2 hours ago, Ryewolf said:

Flippin heck!! This looks big, Paul would have a field day photographing these. I have ants living near my front door, they are tiny - only a few millimetres long.

Yes, he would Rye - and his shot would have been way better than mine, but at least I got it before I shooed him off the watering can!

2 hours ago, Denis said:

...estimated at about a foot long Rye ! :)

Not quite Denis, but certainly just over an inch in length.

2 hours ago, Clicker said:

Jeez.... look at the size of those mandibles !... So are those meat eaters too Dee

These are not our 'usuals' Polly, so I've just been researching to identify them. We do see the odd one around but haven't found a nest or colony of them anywhere - as yet! I think it is  Bulldog Ant, and these apparently have a very painful bite and a lot of people are allergic to the them. I'll have to watch out for them because if they got on Kelly or Brodie that would not be good.

• Thanks 1

Incredible shot Dee.....’Tis a pity that this one seems to have broken the tip off on mandible.....it couldstill give you a nasty nip though.

FUJI

• Like 1

great shot, would love to spend a week with you watching all the wildlife.

• Like 1

I would need to be asked twice Dee..  Nice shot.

• Like 1

I'm glad it's a macro-shot, I'd hate to meet that down a dark alley 1 night.....  😄 - 'tis an excellent shot Kobione 👍

• Like 1

Thank you all, I'll have to be careful when I fill up the watering cans to top up the birds water spots!

1 hour ago, David61 said:

and want one as a pet.

I don't think so!!!!

Thanks for the comment David.

11 hours ago, David61 said:

Cracking shot love it, and want one as a pet.

Imagine him tied up outside the Pub. No one would bother you!

Nice shot Dee.

• Like 1