Clicker

Nuthatch waiting for breakfast ...

This chap was waiting for his breakfast patiently ... it had been a cold  night ..

DSCF8856 ed1s.jpg

• Like 2

I like Nuthatches, they don't visit my yard though (I do get Pied and Grey Wagtails) and the ones that I see at a local picnic site seem to love sunflower seeds, so much so that they search through the seeds to find them.

100mm - 400mm again?  Give it some welly.  Nice catch.  I have never seen one of these in the flesh but I would love to.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, johntwo said:

I have never seen one of these in the flesh but I would love to

Have a drive to Spring Wood picnic site just outside of Whalley, take some seeds, especially sunflower seeds and wait....

They are as common as muck in my garden John  ...pretty colouring  and as Rye says ... greedy beggars when it comes to sunflower seeds

Yes its the 400mm plus converter  ...   through the kitchen window again !

Nice catch, we don't get to see these. Love the expression, he does look a bit 'grumpy'.

1 hour ago, Ryewolf said:

Have a drive to Spring Wood picnic site just outside of Whalley, take some seeds, especially sunflower seeds and wait....

If I've got it right Rye, Spring Wood is the go-to place when the Bluebells are out?  Same place?

51 minutes ago, Clicker said:

They are as common as muck in my garden John  ...pretty colouring  and as Rye says ... greedy beggars when it comes to sunflower seeds

Yes its the 400mm plus converter  ...   through the kitchen window again !

Until I started  Photographing birds, I didn't realise how territorial they are.  Our garden is dominated by Blue Tits and Great Tits.  Apart from a Robin that claims the bird bath as his own and the inevitable Magpies, everything else is just passing through.

It is, I go there for that as well and a few weeks later the ramsons wild garlic is in flower. I also go there for bug hunting. But it's also a good spot to see Nuthatches, you've got to be quick to see them running down the trees before landing on the feeding stations, but take seeds that have a mixture of sunflower seeds and you'll see them. If you're lucky you might see Treecreepers and Woodpeckers. You can also usually see Coal Tits, Long-tailed Tits, Blue Tits and Great Tits, there's also a couple of Robins that will land on the feeding stations as you're putting seeds down.

If you go down by the river at Whalley near the weir, there will be herons, dippers and Little Egrets

Pied and Grey Wagtails are also very territorial and they will sing as they fly over places they know where there's food - they like mealworms put some out and they'll find them. I have a Pied Wagtail that comes to my yard - it isn't even a garden - I put worms on the out building roof and it has got so used to me that it doesn't fly away when I go out to put more out. I always talk to it in a nice calming voice and it stays about 3-4ft away