johntwo

Porto at Night II

I have posted this scene before but a different frame.  The comments on the original post pointed out that composition was spoilt by the lantern cutting through the middle of the bridge.  This was another frame which needed a lot more PP but doesn't suffer from the same problem so I thought I would  post it for comment.

1830656727_LanternandBridge.jpg.3972b05c1e44d29c8ee61c59ba31f039.jpg

Yes - I think the composition of this one does work better, John.

Link to the other one for those with memories as bad as mine!

Thanks Hatter.  I should have thought of that.

Yeah ... It  does improve it the slightly differing view point...   it really is a smashing place to visit ......

You have really captured the feel of a warm, south European night. 

Having looked at both images, I get what you were trying to do by having the light from the lantern mimic the light from the building on the opposite side. However, I feel in this instance that a/ the lantern, what it's resting on and the canopy above take up far to much of the frame and b/ all the leading lines are running right to left and dragging the eye towards the lantern.

Thanks Clicks, thanks David.

A glass of wine and something tasty helped in that respect David.

Not a question of one mimicking the other Rye.  The lantern provides FG interest and a stop on the LHS.  My eye  is then lead by the lights on the quayside to the bridge, then across the bridge to the lit up building which provides a stop on the RHS.  The white illuminated building behind that leads you to the other two bridges on the horizon.  A sort of zig zag which is a classical way of keeping the eye within the frame.  That was the thinking in composing the image.

I have to say  the zigzag works perfectly   for me  too John ... That's  what I was taught  too ...
;)