johntwo

Woody Woodpecker.

Had an unusual visitor to the garden today.  Never seen one here before, only in woodland.   It was a very dull grey day and so I had to use ISO 3200.  Consequently the quality is not what it might otherwise be.  -  (100mm - 400mm Polly).

Woodpecker 3.jpg

Woodpecker.thumb.jpg.b64cee95a9d1bf7e39033d77fcfc6e12.jpg

Edited by johntwo
  • Like 4

What do you call this bird, John? Pretty good considering the high ISO. 

That's a good lesson to those of us that are nervous about straying beyond ISO of around 800! Lovely images.

It's a Greater Spotted Woodpecker CM, an adult female from what I can glean.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the info on that John ... I only see them on the bird feeders in my garden ... will have to try spotting them in the trees now with the new lens ...  nicely caught there . I presume that you had the converter attached  too .... 

1 hour ago, David995031 said:

That's a good lesson to those of us that are nervous about straying beyond ISO of around 800! Lovely images.

One of those situations David where rather than lose the shot ………………… .

1 hour ago, Clicker said:

Thanks for the info on that John ... I only see them on the bird feeders in my garden ... will have to try spotting them in the trees now with the new lens ...  nicely caught there . I presume that you had the converter attached  too .... 

I never seem to take it off Clicks.  Not necessarily a good thing because you lose the extra stop.  I should think about it where I have time but generally you see something and shoot. 

• Thanks 1

Couple of nice captures John, not seen any woodpeckers this year.