FUJI

THE BLUES SINGER IS BACK

The Singer of Blues is back in town, sporting a Hill-Billy beard beneath which he hides a smile for those who donate the odd change or get him a lunch.

He doesn't partake of tobacco or stronger stuff...he is a genuine old style ... Man of the Road...  A Have Guitar, must travel kinda guy....he has just returned from a walking tour of the West Country and then London....he doesn't like cities, much preferring smaller towns, like ours.

He plays and sings a mean  Blues in a distinctive country style...he looks and sounds perfectly at one with the world whilst performing.

I always ensure that he has had a coffee and sometimes a snack of some kind.....he was very grateful for the scarf and gloves I gave him last winter...he sleeps in a tent wherever he can find a safe place.

The hands close ups are for my project...

FUJI

BLUES HAND 2 mono r.jpg

BLUES HAND 1  mono psd.jpg

BLUES SINGER 2  mono  good.jpg

• Like 3

The hands are quite gritty but unlike one of your previous images in the series, I'm OK with that. The portrait is superb.  Good eye contact - pehaps a little lift of thr Shadows around the eyes and pulldown the BG highlight (Rhs)...... but quality work.

Edited by johntwo

For me, the stand-out is shot two  - yes, it is gritty, but, as John says, this time the grittiness seems to suit the image so much better.

What a great character!

Korky

Thank you for you kind comments both.....I like gritty and the Film-Noir look .... I convert from colour using Silver Efex.....then  PS CS6  to adjust areas of tone in s targeted manner; and then move to sharpening as a final move. ..

I have fallen into the trap of lifting shadows around the eyes, only to be told that it looks unnatural.....I like to retain the ...Street-Portrait....look.....much more natural than a studio portrait or  one created using a flash or reflector..... I like to interact with my subjects whilst chatting to them, so trust  is built up and they relax a little.

Street Candids  are a different matter.....with them I just aim then shoot, hoping to catch the expression whilst not getting caught.....all good fun

my subject will receive an envelope of small prints to tuck into his bag if he returns tomorrow.

FUJI

Looks like a real character - I like the hand shots too.

I really appreciate the inclusion of a story about this character that adds to the photos and reveals your own intentions and values.

Lovely work Fuji, great to read about him too.

Thank you Bill.....thank you all.....

He is still around, like he was this time last year.....I am slowly building up a little local support for him from Waitrose fir hot drinks and from one of our bakeries for end of day pasties or sandwiches etc.....most of my friends help him along the way too.

We do this, because he isn’t the usual beggar, addicted soul or hang-about.....he loves his guitar and the blues, so has tent and haversack ...will travel....quite a character.

FUJI

What a great face this man has ....and a story to match ...  you  seem to have captured the essence of the man.