Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Who's a Pretty Boy Then?

johntwo

They are so very shy.  If you can find somewhere where you can use your car as a hide and then just wait, they sometimes re emerge.   The road out on the moors through Over Wyresdale is quite a good spot - provided the guns aren't out. 

3 hours ago, CMunzel said:

Pheasants? Are these birds wild or owned by some squire? 

Good question C.  It's likely that they have been bred by one of the local estates but whether you can "own" a bird that isable to fly free, I don't know.  There are three local estates.  The Dutchy of Lancaster (AKA the Queen), the Duke of Westminster's Estates and the Bowland estates.  The latter used to belong to the Duke of Bowland but the current Duke, the 16th, is a Don at Cambridge University who's speciality is the History of Lancashire.  He bought the title at auction but whether the lands came with it, I also don't know.

7 hours ago, John2 said:

Good question C.  It's likely that they have been bred by one of the local estates but whether you can "own" a bird that isable to fly free, I don't know.  There are three local estates.  The Dutchy of Lancaster (AKA the Queen), the Duke of Westminster's Estates and the Bowland estates.  The latter used to belong to the Duke of Bowland but the current Duke, the 16th, is a Don at Cambridge University who's speciality is the History of Lancashire.  He bought the title at auction but whether the lands came with it, I also don't know.

Thank you, John. So  who, if anyone, has the right to kill and eat them? 

21 minutes ago, CMunzel said:

Thank you, John. So  who, if anyone, has the right to kill and eat them? 

You do ask some difficult questions C.  If you trespass onto someone's land and kill a pheasant, I suspect that would be poaching.  However, what the law says about wild animals killed on the highway seems to be more complicated.  I ended up on a Police WEB site and even they weren't sure.  There is a view that if you kill a pheasant by accident as road kill and you pick it up and take it home, you will be guilty of a crime.  That's because it is illegal to pursue a birds and kill it.   However if the person driving the car behind you takes it home, that's OK because they didn't pursue it.  Supposedly works for everything except a deer which is subject to its own set of rules (the Deer Act).  However, none of the contributors to the site could identify the relevant law and the feeling was that this view may only be an urban myth.  Go figure.  The only consolation is that if the police don't have a definitive answer, who's going to prosecute you?

That's interesting to know John, whenever I drive around and see pheasants on the road I always slow down and/or stop, the same as I would if I saw sheep or lambs in the road. I actually didn't know the law regarding roadkill, which seems rather vague, I did know deer and swans had their own special rules.....

I guess you don't get more gentrified than the Queen and the Duke of Westminster is reputed to be the richest man in the UK, much of his wealth coming from the fact that he owns great swathes of the centre of London.

Archived