Clicker

Taking it to extremes...

Overlooking the Albert Docks Liverpool ... Taking  black and white to the extremes....

_DSF7165ed1sbw.thumb.jpg.d8989024d18ed9d72ea9e7008744d205.jpg

• Like 2

For those who are interested ... here is the original...

609162982__DSF7165ed1scol.jpg.9981ce4d27de5cba045e1abb436058dd.jpg

I love that bold mono study Polly.....it has an appealing .......Edginess to it.

It certainly has more ...Bite....than the colour version.

FUJI

Not sure its my thing Polly, but I would have quickly scrolled past the original whereas the BW version made me stop and look - sometimes it good to be different.

The mono works very well for me and makes a more interesting image.

I think  the point I wanted to make is exactly the response I anticipated..  from Colin ...  the original is merely a record and doesn’t  really warrant a second glance...  I’m not over- enamoured with  the black and white with its illustrative feel to it  but it  does show the  hard lines and “ bite” as Fooj puts it  and engages ones attention at least for a bit longer ... interesting isn’t it ... what makes us look again ..     Thanks Mono....  I certainly prefer it to the original ... I suspect as you said too ... it’s a bit more interesting ... which doesn’t  always necessarily equate to being better does it...😉 

Now I do prefer the "illustrative feel" of the first.  Pity you couldn't retain some detail  in the sky given there is plenty of it in the colour version.  This is very reminiscent of a process I played with  at one stage in the wet dark room called "Tone Line" that used to be created by a very complicated method of sandwiching a line film positives with the original negative.  Photoshop and its familiars have made life so much easier.

Edited by John2

Hi John ... thanks for that... I actually  erased  all the sky on purpose as the cloud shapes all deviated from the straight lines that I was trying to emphasise... and they looked odd as if they were halftone newsprint ... almost just dirty smudges, a bit like the pavements look and it did look very messy . I can see why you suggested it though given the original cloud base ... I remember the wet room technique too though I rarely got it right to my satisfaction.. yeah hurrah for the chemical free photoshop I say .... it is a little bit more predictable innit .... 😉

I agree the B&W is more noticeable, still not for me though...

5 hours ago, Clicker said:

.... it is a little bit more predictable innit .... 😉

And a b@&*# sight less messy as well.

Thanks Leon ... it’s interesting  to see the variety of views and good to get something  that is stimulating debate ... that’s always  more productive than apathy or indifference. I’m always open to experiment and try new things when editing images ...

9 minutes ago, John2 said:

And a b@&*# sight less messy as well.

Absolutely John ...  it’s especially true when you paint digitally too as my formative years as an art student saw me usually wearing my dad’s old shirts as overalls as I got covered in paints and unless you had your own studio you had to clear away all your equipment and clean your brushes etc ... all I have to do now is press ... .”log off “ 😉