John2

The Girl in the Orange Top

Now I always claim that selective colour has it's place provided there is good reason.  I have to admit that I am finding it difficult to justify this image in those terms here.  I suppose the mono emphasises the link between the picture frame rectangles and the rectangle of the window without the distraction of colour   ….. and ….. and …….  oh, I like the colour orange.   😉   I guess it just appealed to me.

1677668077_GirlinOrangePop.jpg.bd8f306771be0c412d008d869f6352e1.jpg

Edited by John2
  • Like 4

I like it, John.  In colour, the pictures on the wall might compete with the girl as the focal point.

• Like 1

And there's that as well.  :rolleyes:  Thanks Hatter.

it absolutely works for me  John ....and I think it's because  all of her is in colour.... it's discreet and the orange top doesn't feel like  it has been isolated ....  Pure Monotone would have  diluted the impact entirely and all colour would have been probably  unbalanced  the composition ... The more I look the more I like it... 

I don't normally go for selective colouring, but this works very well for me.

I'd be tempted to crop out the window so that it's just the subject and the artwork.

Hi Monomania ...  Lovely to have you back on board again .... Hope we get to see you more often on here ... Hmm ..can see where you are coming from Mm..... but inclined to disagree with you on this one ... I think it would place  the girl in the orange top bang in the centre and  that wouldn't work for me  ... I do think the  window plays a significant  part in reflecting the rectangular nature of the  other objects. Of  course  it's  just my take  on it .... and I could be  in the minority ...
😉

Thanks all for the comments.  There is an alternative crop that loses the window but it has to be in Portrait format.  The problem for me in both was to avoid the line of the corner splitting the comp into two halves.  That's possible with a portrait crop and it certainly works.  In the end, I just preferred the version I posted I guess.

23 hours ago, John2 said:

Now I always claim that selective colour has it's place provided there is good reason...

Stop making excuse man! SOMETIMES IT JUST BLOODY WORKS! :27_sunglasses: :thumbup:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks Colin.  You're right of course but here's so much dissent about selective colour these days that I always find myself almost apologising for daring to post it.

• Like 1

It works for me also, I'm not sure why selective colour has such a negative vibe amongst other photographers.

Like lots of things  ... when it's done well ... it works ...  and this was done really well ..

Thanks all for the  additional comments.