Me and Denis are meeting up for the Hebden Bridge Vintage Car Rally and Historic and Commercial Vehicle Society Trans Pennine Run on Sunday 5th Aug 2018 .

If anyone else would like to join us, we're planning to arrive in Hebden Bridge by 9am and leave by 5pm at the latest...

Ryewolf Ryewolf

This was quite a difficult approach.

I have observed this quite vulnerable man for a couple years now...he is one of the regulars on a high street in a nearby town....usually he sits with head bowed, hooded in winter with a sign close by offering to do odd jobs.

He, like all the others are cared for by local church and charity groups....I have never, until now, ventured into requesting portraits like many Street Photographers do, it is against my principles to take advantage.

Yesterday, was different....I was in town, looking to buy a sleeveless Gilet....I suffer in extreme heat, so comfort is paramount.

My subject always sits by the bus stop ...yesterday, he wad doing something creative...forming colorful roses from a kind of dyed putty, they were offered for sale.

I engaged him in conversation, and made a donation....he has been shown how to create the roses from a putty made from kneaded bread............the title for this portrait just leaped into my head...I had to take his portrait..

He was very suspicious as to why, at first, but after I explained my Street Portrait Project, and that I painted portraits he readily agreed.

It seems as though those hard working care groups are helping to turn his life around...I hope so.

FUJI

BREAD FOR BREAD  portrait 1 colour.jpg

BREAD FOR BREAD  portrait 1  mono.jpg

BREAD FOR BREAD 1 colour.jpg

• Like 1

The shot of his face works well in monochrome.

Did you get a close-up shot of any of the roses he was making?

I like your approach Fuji.  The colour portrait is my favourite on this occasion.  The mono is a little heavy for me.

Yeah, I find the mono a bit too gritty for my taste - the colour shot works very well, though. Bags of character, and a great back-story to boot.

Korky

8 hours ago, John2 said:

I like your approach Fuji.  The colour portrait is my favourite on this occasion.  The mono is a little heavy for me.

Me too.