It was a novice Drift day at our local race track yesterday.  Very bright overcast with the light in front of the camera (determined by the available spectator area) producing a lot of glare on the car bodies.  So much processing needed.  Needless to say, some drivers were more adventurous than others.  "Side by Slide"  was trying so hard, as you can see in the mono, he eventually lost his tyre tread.

354936380_Slider4.jpg.55c8ef47dff222c3f70db103bfaa77e2.jpg

Slider.jpg.11d312dd26ad30168fdddb5adf33652e.jpg

• Like 2

The Mono is  my preference  John and really  really appeals to me ... love the sign too  for Doctors and ambulances to park .... adds to the drama of a dangerous sport ...

John both are well shot but for me the top picture has lost the story being in BW. The ejected tyre skin is all but lost in the processing - I just think it needs a bit of clout to help separate it from the background?

Thanks both of you for commenting.

Colin, I can't disagree.  You can imagine my disappointment however, having captured the moment so to speak, when I found that the light had produced a fairly washed out image ( see below).  I might be able to work on it more in colour but in the end I opted to up the saturation and bring out the detail in the process of converting it to mono.  None the less I wasn't too unhappy with the final result.  Having been rescued from receivership, the track is now holding regular events and so I will be going back.

1369906511_Slide6b.jpg.5fb83b6220cc0cb0187bc9348dee70aa.jpg

Nice catches John - I prefer the mono one, and I was a bit surprised that the actual colour of the car was not stronger and brighter. I can smell the tyre smoke too!

John, If I may... 

A simple crop would help bring the focus on the detail?

car.jpg.8344ba1c00ba869ab2dd317e76b557d4.jpg

You may and you're right but I've just realised that the last image isn't the same frame.  With your crop however, it might have been the better choice.

ahhhhh a fellow 3 sisters togger!!

good shots!

Thanks Leon.   We nearly lost the venue but thankfully, the new owners seem to have breathed new life into it.

Edited by John2