vanguard

rust with character

Another nice selection of VW's, I like the last one - I'm wondering if that distressed look is a deliberate paint job....

1st one is my fav', was the reflection intentional?

20 hours ago, Ryewolf said:

Another nice selection of VW's, I like the last one - I'm wondering if that distressed look is a deliberate paint job....

The last one has no paint at all. It was stripped back left to rust a little with salt water. Then treated to stop the surface rust from spreading. Finished off with a clear top coat. I think this camper was treated with oil then lacquered. The other are just sanded back in places or just treated where the rust has come out and then lacquer.

I love the look and wanted to take the blue and white one home .

19 hours ago, ChrisD said:

1st one is my fav', was the reflection intentional?

Sort of I’d hoped it was a bit stronger. I’d seen the light from the sun defuse behind the trees as it started to set. Problem I had I’d put my camera back in my van. So by the I’d got it and was ready I’d missed the better light. But still I’m happy with it.

1 hour ago, vanguard said:

The last one has no paint at all. It was stripped back left to rust a little with salt water.

Thanks for that, because I have seem cars that have had vinyl graphics applied to them to make them look more distressed, if you search on Google images for 'Rusted Vinyl Graphics' you'll see what I mean.

8 minutes ago, Ryewolf said:

Thanks for that, because I have seem cars that have had vinyl graphics applied to them to make them look more distressed, if you search on Google images for 'Rusted Vinyl Graphics' you'll see what I mean.

I’ve seen them myself. They’re probably a better way of getting look without having a old rusty motor lol they great as long as the vinyl is a good quality.