Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Weird Loaner

Sigma came to Sunderland on Friday with all their kit....including their rather unusual cameras. I got chatting to the rep, who I've known for years, and he offered me one of the cameras for a long (ish) term loan. Choice was mine so I went with a dp2 Quattro which has a Foveon X3 sensor and a 30mm f2.8 lens that ends up as a 45mm with the 1.5x crop.

Now if you haven't come across Sigma cameras before - don't worry as few people have - they are a little unusual. Designed by an architect, made for one of the the family owners as a pet project and offered for sale to the public without any intentions of them turning a profit. The sensor is a triple layer affair with every pixel recording every colour, your camera has a grid of red/green/blue pixels. The raw files only open in the Sigma software which is terrible (the rep told me this before I even took the camera) and everything runs at a snails pace. The shape of the dp cameras (there are four as you need a separate one for each focal length offered)  is a bit odd meaning it doesn't sit well in the hand, the controls don't follow a logical placement, the battery is good for less than 200 shots, there's no electronic viewfinder, it doesn't shoot video and the SD card sits behind a rubber cover.

Now I agree I'm not painting this in a good light but I love unusual photographic kit and I love experimenting with new things. I've been out the last couple of days shooting it alongside my Fuji and the experience is growing on me. I love the look of the camera as it is just so mad, the files once you've fought the software are astonishingly detailed and the lens is razor sharp corner to corner.

I'll update as I go along with any further observations and images I shoot them

**click to see full sized for bed results**

Sigma DP2-2.jpg

Sigma DP2-3.jpg

Sigma DP2-4.jpg

Sigma DP2-1.jpg

Sigma JPEG Test 1.jpg

Sigma JPEG Test 2.jpg

Sigma JPEG Test 4.jpg

The insert is a 100% crop of the extreme bottom right corner of the fame.
dp2 Mill 100 Crop.jpg

I quite like the quirkiness of the design.  You don't hear much about them in the press/on the Net compared to other makes but it certainly seems to perform.  What's it like on a heavy crop BP?  BTW, I really like the reflection shot.

Edited by johntwo
3 hours ago, John2 said:

What's it like on a heavy crop BP?  BTW, I really like the reflection shot.

Very sharp with lots of fine detail. The files don't have a great deal of dynamic range and if you push the shadows the noise goes through the roof but if you'e very, very careful with their capture and processing the results are superb.

Interesting to see the results from one. The principle is hardly new, that's how colour film works. From what you say about the latitude it sounds as if the behaviour is more like colour slide film than colour print film.

From what I have seen they are just as "dishonest" about the number of pixels as conventional (Bayer or X-trans) systems, in that the red and blue pixels are larger than the green, and the claimed equivalent number of pixels is the sum of the number of photosites in all the layers. IMHO the only digital camera where the number of pixels is honest is the Leica Monochrom.

3 minutes ago, JamesT said:

Interesting to see the results from one. The principle is hardly new, that's how colour film works. From what you say about the latitude it sounds as if the behaviour is more like colour slide film than colour print film.

From what I have seen they are just as "dishonest" about the number of pixels as conventional (Bayer or X-trans) systems, in that the red and blue pixels are larger than the green, and the claimed equivalent number of pixels is the sum of the number of photosites in all the layers. IMHO the only digital camera where the number of pixels is honest is the Leica Monochrom.

A bayer sensor with a quoted 20 million pixels has 20 million pixels. The fact that 10 million are green, 5m are blue and 5m red is kind of irrelevant, there are still 20m of them in total. 

Now the Foveon X3 Quattro is a different kettle of fish entirely. It has a 19.6 megapixel top layer and two 4.9 megapixel layers beneath. The standard output is 19.6mp (the same as the top layer) but the resolution is reportedly comparable to that from a 39mp Bayer-pattern sensor.

1 hour ago, Ryewolf said:

It's certainly a bit of an oddity - and quite expensive too at around £600+ mark on Amazon - so maybe it would appeal to the gear snobs as something quirky and unusual...

If you think in terms of rivals it quite cheap. A Fujifilm X100f is about £1200 and while it’s a massively more refined machine it’s kind of the same principle - APSC sensor, fixed lens etc. 

20 hours ago, Black Pearl said:

A bayer sensor with a quoted 20 million pixels has 20 million pixels. The fact that 10 million are green, 5m are blue and 5m red is kind of irrelevant, there are still 20m of them in total. 

It's not really irrelevant when the software converts that to 20 million pixels each with a full RGB value. The actual information content of the image is effectively about 6 2/3 million RGB triples, not 20 million.