vanguard

USAF V22 osprey

USAF V22 osprey flying over RAF Mildenhall today. pity the weather was so over cast today.

41484531682_bef6daff87_c.jpg

40632255345_1867402f60_c.jpg

27655209568_f6121e0db2_c.jpg

41484505532_6d49b8310d_c.jpg

• Like 3

Great shots, I saw two of those yesterday, but didn't have a camera. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, kev7d said:

Strange looking machine.  

Yeah, sort of aeroplane / helicopter hybrid. The USMC use them a fair bit I believe. There have been a few incidents with them in the past, so they j=have never really taken off (fnar fnar) as expected. 

• Like 1

A bit like a propeller powered Harrier in use I think...but much noisier.....I would imagine that pilot training must be pretty special.....just like the guys who flew the Harriers.....so much to think about.

Wonderful shots....love aircraft....don’t like flying.

FUJI

• Like 1

I've not managed to bag one these myself yet, never have my camera with me when ones around. I have always thought the Osprey to be one of those mad 1950's ideas that got into production by accident.

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, FUJI said:

A bit like a propeller powered Harrier in use I think...but much noisier.....I would imagine that pilot training must be pretty special.....just like the guys who flew the Harriers.....so much to think about.

Wonderful shots....love aircraft....don’t like flying.

FUJI

Believe it or not but their not that noisy. Well no where near as noisy as a harrier. They fly all over the uk using our ranges and low fly zones. But mainly over the east coast. Our special forces and theirs are often seen using them. With the right radar apps/ websites you can follow them. I’ve followed them as they fly from mildenhall to Hereford to the sas. They’re common sight over Cambridgeshire and Norfolk. But still rather see a harrier scream across our sky’s.

I take it the propellers will move through a 90 degree angle?

Thanks Van.....

We live right under the late landing approach ....or take-off paths depending on wind direction or noise pollution regs.....or they are just switched about.....so Passenger aircraft at 1500 to 3000 ft all day long including the Dubai Airbus A 380 s three times a day....in and out....that is a sight to see and to listen to.

The only military aircraft ...sadly once very regular, now occasionally are the Hospital? aircraft bringing service patients in to a Birmingham hospital....a very, very occasional twin rotor Chinook might be on a promotional visit .... 

The odd air ambulance, private helicopter or plane.....two noisy, dirty Antanovs ....

But mostly is regular air traffic on a repeating seasonal timetable....

I do have the....Flight-radar...app....it is always interesting to keep up with what is coming or going..

FUJI

Nice series Van.  It makes you wonder what these have over a standard helicopter.  I'm guessing it's speed in horizontal flight or can they also carry a greater load?

48 minutes ago, kev7d said:

I take it the propellers will move through a 90 degree angle?

Yes mate.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, John2 said:

Nice series Van.  It makes you wonder what these have over a standard helicopter.  I'm guessing it's speed in horizontal flight or can they also carry a greater load?

Range and speed mainly and certainly load over a single rotor helicopter. I believe it can fly higher and and be refuelled at higher altitudes as well. If you look closely you’ll see a 50 cal machine gun set up in the back for close support. They use the 50 cal on Raf hollbeach range on a regular basis. 

Good set Van - never seen one of those before. Love the last one with the guys coming down on the rope.

• Like 1