Sign in to follow this  
johntwo

Hockney on the stairs.

Taken at Salts mill.

5ac94f629c297_HockneyontheStairs.thumb.jpg.eda02bae46593d867d4746a1d58015c6.jpg

• Like 4

I'm not a fan of selective colour, but that i like. loving the range of tones.

Love it John. Those steps walk my eyes up to that very nice splash of colour. I really like those shadows on the steps.  Nice work.  

Nice to see a good use of selective colour and a good image to boot :1310_thumbsup_tone1:

• Like 1

I like this particular selective colour study too......something like that would make a great cover for an exhibition poster or catalogue.

FUJI

Yes, that one works for me, too.

Selective colour is a bit Marmite these days, but in this image it looks superb.Nice work!

Korky  

Thanks all for the very welcome comments.  Welcome because selective colour has indeed been somewhat overdone over the years. However, it has it's place and just becomes more of a challenge to find something where the process adds something instead of being used just for the sake of it.  That's what I was after here.  If Hockney's art is about anything it's colour and I wanted to focus on that aspect and not just the painting which as a piece of art, stands in it's own right - if that makes sense (?).  Glad that you enjoyed it for what it is instead of condemning it as just old hat.

Edited by johntwo
  • Like 2

I think what really makes this one for me John is the lovely soft light. It quite enhances the image. I think it has the effect of making the selected colour picture blend in very well. It just works. Its the end result that counts, not the selective colour debate for me. It works!

Thanks Kevin, thanks Jacqui.  A favourite place for me both photographically and just to see.

I have been meaning to go to Salts Mills for years. I may just commit to a look in the summer.

That's a really lovely image. I like that a lot, the selective colour adds to the shot, rather than being a gimmick like it often is. 

Agree with the comments already said - the selective colour is really nice, but it is the whole image that has impact.

Thanks Kev, thanks Rick and thanks Kobione for the additional comments.