Looks like #TheBeastFromTheEast has taken its toll on the local population of octopus - there were dozens washed up dead on the beach this morning...

Octopus TIPF-2.jpg

Octopus TIPF-3.jpg

Octopus TIPF-1.jpg

I was beginning to think that you'd run out of dead things ?

just shows how bad the storm was out there

• Like 1

I honestly didn’t realise that we even had a Native Octopus....your pic has surprised and fascinated me.....

Imagine one of those bumping against legs as you paddled or swam.

Hobbo

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, FUJI said:

I honestly didn’t realise that we even had a Native Octopus....your pic has surprised and fascinated me.....

Imagine one of those bumping against legs as you paddled or swam.

Hobbo

Got to say I don't recall seeing them washed up before...and its not like I don't look out for dead things 

Oooh  can I have your autograph Beepy?

Fabulous  pictures...     I wonder where they originated from ... I ve never seen an octopus on our coastal beaches .. !

;)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Clicker said:

Oooh  can I have your autograph Beepy?

Fabulous  pictures...     I wonder where they originated from ... I ve never seen an octopus on our coastal beaches .. !

;)

I would have thought they were more deep sea dwellers. Definitely a first for me though I've seen a couple of dead squid washed up before.

I imagine marine biologists might be interested in what caused their demise too ...  are we presuming it was the storm.?

I should think they are most likely curled octopus (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curled_octopus), which are found in relatively shallow coastal waters around the UK. Since octopus tend to hide amongst the rocks they probably only get seen in numbers when they are washed ashore by storms.

Well its been a funny old morning :13_upside_down:

So far I've been contacted by two local newspapers, BBC Newcastle and a press agency all asking for permission to share these images. On top of that the BBC have been to the shop to conduct an audio interview (I nearly died of embarrassment) and the images are now going out to the national press.

I knew if I kept shooting dead things I'd be famous :4_joy:

well done you BPM.....I look forward to seeing you on BBC National News tonight......

FUJI

Nice one. I was quite surprised to find out we had a native octopus

I have seen them washed up before. Shy creatures.   Got caught out by strong tides and waves.

Well wel well .....    well done you ... is it on Look North  regional  news  ... do let us know ...  so I can name drop . ;)  

9 hours ago, Clicker said:

Well wel well .....    well done you ... is it on Look North  regional  news  ... do let us know ...  so I can name drop . ;)  

The interview was on BBC Newcastle radio, missed it but I had a few FB messaged saying people heard me :shock:

To be honest I wouldn't expect the images to turn up anywhere nationally as news moves on quickly so this is more a local piece and its been in both the main local papers.

• Like 1

Well done, BP.

Sad for the poor creatures, but nice that you got to show your pics to the public.

Great that you got recognition for something so unusual BP.