A couple from my lunchtime wanderings in Durham.

Making myself use different lenses, and today was the 70-200

Durham-1.jpg

Durham-2.jpg

• Like 1

Them icicles look deadly. I saw on the news that the Fire Service were knocking them off buildings In York City Centre this week as they were seen as a real risk to safety.

Wow Jon, we don't get to see icicles like that! The detail in the brickwork is good in the large view.

kev7D comment about the York Fire Brigade knocking icicles off buildings as they are a potential hazard gave me a pause for thought so I had a look to see what I could find and all of the statistical tables for UK and the causes deaths do not have any for icicles. I did find there were 15 in USA in 2017 so it would suggest either we don't have so many icicles here or we are perhaps more aware of them.

I do have a friend in Germany who was seriously injured when looking over the balcony of a ground floor holiday flat during a skiing holiday a few years ago as a large icicle detached and dropped straight onto his unprotected head. There was actually some doubt he would recover consciousness for several days. He is fine now, if a little vague sometimes.