Me and Denis are meeting up for the Hebden Bridge Vintage Car Rally and Historic and Commercial Vehicle Society Trans Pennine Run on Sunday 5th Aug 2018 .

If anyone else would like to join us, we're planning to arrive in Hebden Bridge by 9am and leave by 5pm at the latest...

Ryewolf Ryewolf
Sign in to follow this  
FUJI

SERENITY WITHIN TURMOIL

A beautiful Bewick Swan has taken up residence on our local pool........A youngster I think ....all alone.

FUJI

SERENITY WITHIN TURMOIL  colour.jpg

• Like 1

I think this might be a Whopper Swan, they have a much more v shaped yellow marking on their bill, I know we get Bewick Swan's here in Lancashire, that said the two swans are very similar in appearance, in that they've both got black and yellow beaks. Bewick Swans are about the size of a Canada Goose, Whooper Swans are much bigger.

A delightful portrait.

I think however that it is in fact a Whooper Swan rather than a Bewick's. The key feature shown here is the yellow on the bill which comes down to a long point, whereas in the Bewick's the patch is shorter. It is somewhat unusual to find a solitary bird of either species, so I suspect it must have become separated from the flock during the migration. Since the bill it properly yellow I don't think it is a first winter bird, but without a full-body shot I can't be sure.

Aha! Looking at it again it is almost certainly a WHOOPER SWAN....

Thank you for clarifying that....proves that I’m no bird expert.

FUJI

On 2/12/2018 at 22:15, FUJI said:

Thank you for clarifying that....proves that I’m no bird expe

I wouldn't mind betting that three-quarters of the population wouldn't even realize it wasn't a mute swan.