Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

ON WAVES OF BLUE

FUJI

Not your typical subject matter!

The sky colours in the waves are superb.  

I just have one concern -- the bill looks very dark for a black-headed gull. I don't suppose that one was a bit smaller than the rest as it looks rather like the North American bonaparte's gull which does occasionally blow in to these shores.

6 minutes ago, JamesT said:

Not your typical subject matter!

The sky colours in the waves are superb.  

I just have one concern -- the bill looks very dark for a black-headed gull. I don't suppose that one was a bit smaller than the rest as it looks rather like the North American bonaparte's gull which does occasionally blow in to these shores.

Thank you both.....

I’m afraid I’m not in to recognising gull species......there has been a large resident flock in and around our local pool for many years now;mtyey like the regular waterfowl get fed by the park visitors, mainly mums and children. Not exactly tame, the gulls have learned to almost hover to catch thrown food ....an incredible sight, I often go there to catch them....in-flight, but no real success yesterday.

would a  single  Boneparte’s Gull mix in with another gull species, it was just part of the usual crowd?....

There is one other unusual visitor to the pool this winter.....a single Bewick’s Swan.....a lonely youngster by the look of it....it too has become exceptionally trusting during the last month or so.....it might be in trouble if our usual pair of swans turn up.

The wave colours, the quality of light in that particular corner of the pool always seems to be different during winter months, because it catches the light until the sun is almost set....the water is always a tad oily owing to the large number of swimming birds, so waves tend to have that languid appearance......they reflect local colour, then break it up beautifully.

Not as visible during deep winter is a huge number of very large resident carp, they too are exceptionally tame, taking food from the fingers of visitors, standing on the boards of the feeding platform.

it does upset me when the owners of dogs  off lead run into the water barking to scatter and panic  the hungry birds .....the owners seem to think it is very funny.....not so when tiny ducklings, cooks and moorhen are struggling to survive.

FUJI

Nice shot FUJI, I'd say Black Headed Gull in winter plumage, the spots behind the eyes make it look like they're wearing headphones. Apparently they are the most common inland gull, though 100 years ago they were very rarely seen inland.

10 hours ago, FUJI said:

would a  single  Boneparte’s Gull mix in with another gull species, it was just part of the usual crowd?....

Certainly the only time I have seen one it was with a group of black-headed gulls, the most obvious difference is the size as they are about 20-30% smaller than black-headeds.

Actually, probably the best evidence that it wasn't a Bonaparte's is the lack of a small flock of twitchers, and "my lens is bigger than your lens" type bird paparazzi.

You have stirred my ancient memory banks now James .....it was back in 1990 when a genuine Bonepart’s Gull was spotted on the pool just across the way from our house.

It attracted a HUGE flock of over excited Twitchers from all over the country......the usually quiet footpaths surrounding the pool were totally hidden beneath a tide line of camaufage and photographic and binocular gear.....Anorak’s all.....the fun lasted for just a few days.

I have just checked official records......there are very occasional Bonepart’s Gulls seen within a 20 mike radius of here.

Our Kev should be very interested .....shouldn’t he? 

FUJI

Archived