Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

Vulcan

VWGolf

A few Vulcan pictures - not particularly great photos, but a plane (XH558) very dear to my heart.
The first two pictures are of XM575 which is in the aircraft museum at East Midlands Airport.  I even managed - goodness knows how! - to climb up into the cockpit.
There's not a lot of space, so how five men managed to scramble in four minutes and be away, I've no idea.  It is distinctly claustrophobic in there, with tiny windows - made so small that the crew wouldn't be blinded by any nuclear flash if the worse happened, they had to close one eye!
Third picture is Martin Withers, Distinguished Flying Cross, who flew the first Black Buck Mission to the Falkland Islands during the war, to bomb the runway.  A mega 6000 mile trip, radio silence and not enough fuel!  Such a brave man, and so unassuming, you'd never guess he was a war hero.
Last picture is XH558, the last flying Vulcan who was kept in the air until 2015, now shunted away at the back of Doncaster Airport as there are not enough funds yet to put her in a hanger.
I waited - along with lots of others - for over an hour at EM Airport to see her fly over on her final tour before being grounded.  She flew along the course of the runway, turned around and flew back over, then took off with her characteristic howl, over the Trent Valley.
Me - and dozens of men, many RAF - were in tears.  It was very moving, knowing she would not fly again.

Vulcan-XM575-AeroPark-5665w.jpg

Vulcan-XM575-cockpit-AeroPark-5810w.jpg

Vulcan-Withers0757w.jpg

Vulcan-EMA-1835.jpg

I have probably said before about growing up below RAF Waddington where the Vulcan became a very familiar sight and sound to me as a boy. So sad we are unlikely to ever see one fly again.

VW - hope you don't mind if I add a few rare shots of XH558

The single and 2 Lancs + are at RAF Waddington the Vulcan and company over RAF Coningsby.

I only wish I had a longer lens for the group pics.

5a6c3c85f1a8b_Vulcan2015B.thumb.jpg.3e64dd34db43b5872657db5ab483077f.jpg

5a6c3c87b9146_Vulcan2015D.thumb.jpg.3264a982e104b4bec1a58582354d8b65.jpg

5a6c3c86c1933_Vulcan2015C.thumb.jpg.3287082fb77398ce10a00f8e2e45fa21.jpg

Love your photos too, Colin.  It was lovely to see her flying in convoy.
I am also restricted by my lenses - 90% of my pictures are taken on my Nikon 24-70mm F2.8 non-VR, which is OK for aircraft on the ground or flying low.
I know next to nothing about aircraft (and I hate flying!) other than the Vulcan and to a lesser extent, the Handley Page Victor, which was also used in the Black Buck raids as tankers.
I blame my sister - she took me to RAF Cosford airshow in 2015.  Not really my sort of thing, I thought  and only went because the Red Arrows were displaying there.
Then I fell in love with the Vulcan as she flew over and howled.  It is so sad that she's now standing in a corner of the airfield at Doncaster and I hope she's not rotting away like the poor old Victor at Duxford.  
I have some more pictures from Cosford last year - I must  do a bit of HDD searching and see what I can find. :5_smiley:

Nice shots. Theres one in Wellesbourne also, and I amanged to get into the cockpit there also. It doesnt fly, but they take it onto the runway a couple of times a year and do simulated take offs.

When I was a kid I lived in Chadshunt which is half a mile from what was Gaydon Airfield in Warwickshire.  When they took off from there, everything on the shelves in the house vibrated. 

Wonderful aircraft, such a shame 558 is grounded. My kids names are on the bomb bay plaque, I remember her at bruntingthorpe being restored.

Xl319 is at Sunderland and the cockpit is sometimes open there, they are incredibly cramped, arn't they

They sometimes fast taxi a Victor at elvington near York - it was in the news a while back when she accidentally took off :-)

Archived