Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

A Wander Around Ossy

Ryewolf

Ossy or for those who don't know the area Oswaldtwistle (a twistle is a norse word meaning a piece of land in the bend of a river - in other words Oswald's bit of land). Ossy is it's local name, in fact when I lived in Plymouth and said I went to school in Oswaldtwistle - they thought I'd made the name up... James Hargreaves - Spinning Jenny guy lived here. And indeed you're not considered a true Gobbiner unless you were born "above t' lamp" (being the lamp outside the library). From what I've read a Gobbin is very similar to a Boggart - another Lancashire oddity for a mischevous spirit - indeed there is a Boggarts Hole Clough near Manchesters and Towneley Hall Park has a Boggart Bridge..Rochdales Baum Rappit is another example of a boggart.

Anyways, enough with the history - although sometimes actually useful as most places give cluse to their origins..

Bill and Ben Flowerpot Men - and Weed - They appeareared outside the sheltered accommodation my Mum live's at..

bill-ben-6660.jpg

Stonebridge Mills - pretty typical of the mills found in Lancashire..

stonebridge-mill-6669.jpg

stonebridge-mill-6671.jpg

T'owd Mill, part demolished...

old-mill-6674.jpg

Texting.... and probably completely unaware of the history around her,,,,

texting-6676.jpg

The Ossy War Memerorial (just behind be me as I took this shot)

memorial-6680.jpg

memorial-6681.jpg

Oswald House - as far as I can find it was the Old Liberal Club...

oswald-house-6685.jpg

Another old Mill...

old-mill-6686.jpg

Some interesting graffiti..

grafittii-6695.jpg

Some interesting patterns on a old house, but now restuarant,,,

patterns-6696.jpg

Oswaldtwistle Mills - now a retail outlet, but I remember this being a dog bisciut maker in the early 70's

ossy-mills-6702.jpg

ossy-mills-6704.jpg

The Old Palladium Picture House..

palladium-pictures-6705.jpg

The Annexe, which used to be part of my old Secondary School - it was here we did Woodwork, Metalwork and Techinical Drawing lessons - I absolutely hated Metalwork and Woodwork, so this place has very strong negative emtions for me..

the-annexe-6708.jpg

T'owd Mill, one of many around here that I used to walk past on my way home, some have now gone and replaced with new housing estates, others are like this...

towd-mill-6710.jpg

To be honest, I've probably told you more about my early life today, than I have in all the years I've been a member...

Mornin' Geoff,

I really like your set here.....the photographs give a great sense of ...Place....the ....Grittiness...of The North remains I see, but not as dark and satanic as it used to be.

Love the little Factory/Mill especially.

My good lady hails from Nelson/Colne.....her mum started work in a cotton mill  on leaving school aged just 12 years .....she had that distinctive loud voice of the mill worker, and used to do that unique way of silent communication, much exaggerated by the late-great Les Dawson.

GUJI

What a really interesting and informative set Rye... I have really enjoyed seeing these ... in particular I am fascinated  by a minimalist niche genre of photographing simple images in ways that are not always obvious; the patterns on the old house and the little window in the stone wall etc.  Yeah and we learned a lot about you too Rye ... a super set ... :thumbup:

Some lovely, gritty images there, Rye. Very nice indeed. I just love the shot of Oswald House, the processing is superb.

And a great bit of history and local info, too.

Just for the southerners, it isn't called Oswaldtwistle by locals, but Ozzletwistle.

Korky

Thanks Kobione and Korky, I've driven past these places many times over the last two years, usually on my way to somewhere else for an image for the OADED. Many of them I walked past everyday on the way to or from school - in those days you walked to school,, I think my Dad was one of the few people on our street that did have a car.

Archived