Black Pearl    5,802

It turns out that there are two five o'clocks in the day - who knew - but if you do drag yourself out of bed for the first one you can get to the woods early enough to catch Red Squirrels before the crowds turn up and scare them back into the trees.

It was a little dull at the start so I was bumping up against the 6400iso usable limit of the Fuji and still struggling to get a decent shutter speed but patience, a bit of luck, improving light and some uncomfortable lying in the leaf litter got me this collection of shots.

Squirrel Peek-a-Boo.jpg

Squirrel Bokeh.jpg

Squirrel Stare.jpg

Squirrel Alert.jpg

Squirrel Close.jpg

All shot with the X-T1 and XF 55-200mm f3.5/4.8 R

• Like 4

kev7d    3,754

Just beautiful.  Number 2 is an awesome shot.   

• Like 1

Black Pearl    5,802
1 minute ago, kev7d said:

Just beautiful.  Number 2 is an awesome shot.   

Cheers Kev.

I was shooting crouched down eye level but noticed the bokeh from the trees just creeping into the frame so put the camera on the ground and used the articulated screen to frame the squirrel against the light - worked well.

colinb    2,282

Tuffty at his best ... (no not you BP the Squirrel)   

• Like 1

Clicker    3,527

Fabulous that you have red squirrels near  your home location Beepy ...Lovely set but #2 is just exquisite...

I love this camera and what it can do ... of course it needs a good photographer behind the lens to  realise this ...WELL DONE ... I learn every day  with  the Fuji. it is a complete joy to use ...

• Like 2

Black Pearl    5,802

Thanks all - I'm knackered but it was worth the early start.

Clicker    3,527

Other half has asked me to tell you you have made his day with your red squirrel pics ... he absolutely loves them ... and asked me especially to tell you how impressed he is with them ...  ...  Thanks Beepy ......for raising the bar so bloody high for me !

• Like 1

Black Pearl    5,802
1 hour ago, Clicker said:

Other half has asked me to tell you you have made his day with your red squirrel pics ... he absolutely loves them ... and asked me especially to tell you how impressed he is with them ...  ...  Thanks Beepy ......for raising the bar so bloody high for me !

Glad he liked them, they really are amazing to get close to....actually you can see just how close I got from this shot taken by one of the other lads that turned up this morning...

Me by Ian.jpg

sr1867    597

Same from me shot 2 is a beaut. Red Squirrels are another thing on my ever growing must shoot list.

• Like 1

FUJI    5,639

A superb set of squirrel studies BP....

I like the .... peek-a-Boo....pose in the first.

FUJI

Edited by FUJI
  • Like 1

Ryewolf    4,086

Some great images BP, #2 for me also... Wow, you did get close... Formby is the closest place where I can see red squirrels

• Like 1

Rogerw    859

Excellent BP never ever seen one , you are so lucky.

• Like 1

Clicker    3,527

Flippin' Eck Beepy... You really did get  close up and personal with them... I am green with envy ....

• Like 1

Korky    4,055

Number 2 is the star of the show - excellent!

Korky

• Like 1

Clicker    3,527

Well done on POTW  Beepy ...Great choice Dee ...  had POTW written all over it ...

• Like 1

Leon    1,570

great shots.   I am just in the middle of arranging another day at Anglesey where they have a Red Squirrel colony,