Black Pearl    5,556

Well there should have been a roaring aurora tonight and with clear skies for miles around it should have been visible.....it bloody wasn't though :no

Souter Night Web.jpg

Stars.jpg

• Like 4

colinb    2,226

BP - I'm thinking of doing some photos of the night sky whilst in the canaries later this year - any advice?  (although I don't expect to see the aurora either)

Black Pearl    5,556

Errrr....I'd love to offer some sage like advice but if I'm entirely honest I just wing it whenever I have a go.

I have found a slightly lighter (over exposed) shot can be pulled back easier than a dark one where boosting shadows produces vast amounts of noise. 
Make sure you have a remote release to keep shorter exposures sharp, preferably a wireless one as its less to have flapping about in the dark.
A head torch makes things darn sight easier when setting up your camera...or tape one to the column of your tripod so it shines down into your bag underneath.
Infinity focus can be an issue depending on your lens/camera as not all have a hard infinity stop - take a few test shots, zoom in afterwards then lock the focus once you've nailed it.
Shoot in raw and make ACR?Lightroom your friend.

• Like 1

THELONGMAN    807

Love the lighthouse picture. ---- I'm of to Scotland next week so maybe, between the showers, I might get lucky?

Geoff

• Like 1

Black Pearl    5,556
On 17/07/2017 at 06:44, colinb said:

BP - I'm thinking of doing some photos of the night sky whilst in the canaries later this year - any advice?  (although I don't expect to see the aurora either)

This makes an interesting read Colin...

https://petapixel.com/2017/03/22/find-best-iso-astrophotography-dynamic-range-noise/