Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

I am sure some one will know (old motorbike)

Barbara

Looks like a James 'Captain' by the size of the cylinder, possible ex  GPO as the badge contains the Crown. Commercially available James had a different tank badge to that...... I dont think its a military spec.....

The more I look at it the more I'm convinced it's a Cadet, the cylinder looks like a 150cc to me. As regards to the exhaust on a Captain... it seems to have been fitted on both left and right depending on the age of the bike.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=james+captain+200cc&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-gb:IE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7ADFA_enGB453&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=LvsnUeCkC-vI0AXkw4GQBQ&ved=0CDAQsAQ&biw=1025&bih=490

As regards to the exhaust on a Captain... it seems to have been fitted on both left and right depending on the age of the bike.

You are right my books were showing 60's models

The reg indicates pre 62 and the exhaust position  indicates mid 50's The shape of the exhaust would indicate 1955 captain Unless anyone knows better??

http://www.simplywizard.co.uk/folders/callouts/55k7.htm

It appears they did then!, but I once had a 1930 James that

didnt have a crown on the tank badge!

The crown on the tank badge was a 1950' & 60's thing and the exhaust was moved to the right side in the 1960's too. As was the case with many british motorcycle manufacturers they used Villiers two stroke single cylinder engines and I guess the exhaust pipe was mounted according to which side of the cylinder the exhaust port came out from. I had a Royal Enfield Turbo Twin Sports 250cc (Villiers 4T Twin Two Stroke) back in 1966, it was a great bike. Unfortunately I met a lorry that was on the wrong side of the road and I came close to losing my leg in the resulting inicident.

Did the badge look like this

diamondt_zps7235f6a5.jpg

I had a friend who dropped a 4t into a crusader frame just before royal enfield did. It sported home made, and exceptionaly loud, expansion chambers The works canteen lost several alloy tea trays to make the battery box and various bits

Myself I was a Fb falcon owner with the 9e villers plus its recalsiant gearbox that contained 1st neutral neutral neutral smash 3rd 2nd 3rd My first bike, how I remember it well

I had a friend who dropped a 4t into a crusader frame just before royal enfield did. It sported home made, and exceptionaly loud, expansion chambers The works canteen lost several alloy tea trays to make the battery box and various bits

Myself I was a Fb falcon owner with the 9e villers plus its recalsiant gearbox that contained 1st neutral neutral neutral smash 3rd 2nd 3rd My first bike, how I remember it well

My best friend had a Royal Enfield 250cc Crusader Sports, it cost £315.00.. I didn't have that sort of money so I got the Turbo Twin... it cost £ 249.00... in any case I loved two strokes for some strange reason... before that I had a BSA Bantam D7 175cc.

You can see where I was in the pecking order My other friend had a harley davidson aermacchi 250, flash git

Strange how 250 was the bike to have in those days Thanks to honda and the TT

I guess it was partly due to the fact you could ride a 250cc on a provisional driving licence. Fuzzy... did you ever get to the IOM TT? I did... every year from the Diamond Jubilee TT in 1967 until the last time in 1982... I went on crutches twice... Lol... heck I was keen in those days.

As this thread is way off track I will add some more info about the crown on the badge

As I cant find out anything on the great oracle google I asked a James guru on simplywiz here is what he said

Thanks for the enquiry. What an interesting question.

What follows is purely speculative.

In the 20's it was possible to buy a mascot for James motorcycles in the form of a cast metal figure representing King James. In my 1930 sales catalogue the mascot is priced at 5/6d.

I seem to recall that his name was also mentioned, from time to time in the contemporary sales literature too but I have been unable to find an example.

I have a copy of the factory letterhead for 1923, which shows the shield badge 'The James Cycle Co., London and Birmingham' and it is surmounted by a crown.

Google images - source of all knowledge on everything - shows the crown of King James and I suspect that this is what the James factory picked up on. I know of no Royal Warrants or anything like that. They certainly did not supply the court of King James bit I think the publicity department liked the idea of the 'King of Motorcycles'. I cannot recall whether they ever used that as a slogan - but I'm sure they should have done.

There we are. History - it's all true - created in an email.

Best wishes

Alan Abrahams

What an informative answer fuzzy, thanks for posting :)

I have owned a few bikes....

250cc Francis Barnett

1964 250cc BSA C15

1931 100cc James Comet

1947 500cc BSA M21

350cc AJS 16C

Triumph Tiger Cub X 2

1963 BSA Lightning

Triumph 500cc Speed twin

Norton Dominator 99

1961 600CC Panther

Royal Enfield 700cc Constellation

Velocette Mac 350cc

1962 BSA Rocket Gold Star

Triton, (Norton frame with a full race tuned 69 Triumph Bonneville
engine).

Long after my serious accident in 1966 and final surgery in 1976 I still used to get the urge to ride a bike again. With my leg still being weak I stayed away from riding again until the late 1980's. One day around 1985 during my work as an electrician I happened to come across an old bike in a barn on the farm I was working at, it was in extremely poor condition. I asked the farmer about it, apparently his son used to ride it and when he left home he didn't take it with him and the bike just gathered dust and went rusty. The farmer said I could take it away if I wanted it so when I'd finished the job I put the bike in my van. Here is a picture of me on the bike a couple of years later after I'd spent far too much time and money restoring my little BSA Bantam D14/4 175cc.

post-19-0-85181100-1361779636_thumb.jpg

nk

I found this shot on the internet, it's a Royal Enfield Turbo Twin Sports 250cc, apart from the petrol tank being red (mine was blue) it's exactly the same as the bike I was riding when I met a stupid lorry driver on my side of the road...... you could say what happened next changed my life forever.

post-19-0-35699900-1361779912_thumb.jpg

Defination of Nerds

noun Slang.

a stupid, irritating, ineffectual, or unattractive person.

an intelligent but single-minded person obsessed with a nonsocial hobby or pursuit: a computer nerd.

I fit about 5 out of 9 where do you rate

How do you use red and shouty words BP my tool bar greys out when I hit reply

They should be available along the top of the reply box but if not.....

Bottom right of the Reply to this topic box is a More Reply Options button, might bring them up.

I do know they don't appear with mobile browsers, I can't see them on the iPad, the iPhone or the Galaxy.

Archived