Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

What are you reading?

I'm totally a non fiction fan.......My last read was.......The Battle for Monte Cassino .......... My current one is........Not the Colditz Myth.......The first I read because a late friend took part in in and was utterly shell shocked,during the battle......it affected him for the rest of his life.......I still wear the watch he left me. 

My current read, is the True rather than the fanciful, escape committee, all officers, gung ho, story of prisoners of the third Reich .......I'm reading this, because the officer I worked closely with during my National Service is mentioned.......His armoured car was captured, at the time thousands were being rescued from the Dunkirk beaches in 1940.

He spent the whole of WWII as a POW, almost six years in all.......he was a remarkable man who went through the ranks from Trooper to Lt Colonel before he died in Aden during the early 1960 s........It is fascinating to read just what all those allied POWs went through.

FUJI

18 minutes ago, ChrisLumix said:

I thought the events in the original Colditz TV series were based on actual events that Major Pat Reid had put in his book?

You are right Chris, but what you didn't know, is that he was a fan of Biggles and other Boy's Own style magazines pre war.......his writing styles were influenced by that....then...the later TV series, as  good as it was, used fictional characters, leading to a legal challenge from Airey Neave, the first real, successful escapee from Colditz.The series also depicted the Nazis in not quite the right way.

My current book, attempts to lay all those myths and gung ho depictions to rest, instead to give a very real idea of what it was really like to be captured, interrogated then incarcerated, none were well treated, most were half starved, many were used as slave labour, denied medication, or faced many restrictions. The book uses the voices of a good cross section of POWs from all three services and of all ranks .

The writing style of Maj Pat Reid made for good drama, which is why both his books and the film were so successful, as did the later TV series...The Great Escape, and The Wooden Horse......Lots if truths, interspersed with too much drama for audiences, leading to folk thinking that being a POW wasn't too bad, when the reality was very, very different.

FUJI

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

I am reading a very interesting book at the moment. Fighting for Napoleon - French Soldiers' Letters 1799 - 1815, Bernard & René Wilkin.

It charts the coalition wars from the prospective of the common soldiers' letters to friends, family and loved ones back at home through the above dates. Well, I find it quite intriguing anyway! :) 

And we have a great photography forum here, so I thought, hmmmmm, why not point the camera at the book.

28269791284_b9564d4a8f_b.jpg

Edited by kev7d
Typo
  • Like 2

Hey I like the idea Kev of posting an image ofwhat oneis reading ....looks like Beepy does too... i hope it catches on and starts a new trend ...Great idea... will retrieve my latest book from the bedside table  later ....A lot of my reading matter has been on my kindle lately ...

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Just starting this book. The second volume of Napoleon and the Struggle for Germany. Volume 1 was superb. Not for the feint of heart either, the author Michael Leggiere has clearly spent years researching the facts for this 2 volume study. The detail of the politics and campaign is immense. The empire was at its height in 1812 and things are now conspiring against the French and Bonaparte. The end was inevitable from the early days of the French Revolution when Bonaparte was a boy living on the Island of Corsica. The story I was taught at school was so different from reality. :)  

29077735446_4692f91f3c_b.jpg

Edited by kev7d
Typo
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Took a break from the above book to read this one whilst on holiday. A shorter read. Fatal Purity - Robespierre and the French Revolution. Interesting read about the life of Maximillien Robespierre. The book debates a man with high moral principles that the more he became embroiled in the revolutionary politics the more suspicious that all around him were attempting to push the revolution off course and reinstate the murderous Bourbon monarchy . From a man that initially rejected the death penalty to then signing the death warrants of thousands of citizens to be executed by guillotine. Ultimately this all turned against Robespierre and he was sent to the guillotine at the age of 36. Not the first book I have read about the revolution. My interest here is that the revolution sets in context the story and life of Bonaparte.

29323821071_5543621e6c_b.jpg

Edited by kev7d
Typo

I am getting through some books lately.

I am now a few chapters of the way into this book - Napoleon and Wellington by Andrew Roberts. It is making a very good read, exploring the "relationship" between these two leaders. 

28953714144_141f3f9954_b.jpg

Edited by kev7d
  • 5 weeks later...

I can't be the only one reading? :lol: Anyway, just started a 3 volume read - Memoirs of Napoleon Bonaparte by a guy called Louis Antoine Fauvelet de Bourrienne. Should be good. I will read this with some caution. Bourrienne spent many years with Napoleon, starting in Bonaparte's early years at military school. He was a private secretary and friend to Bonaparte for many years. But, he was sacked by Bonaparte for some corruption activity so there may well be some embellishment for revenge. Anyway, here we go for a book that was first printed in 1836. The first volume covers 1769 - 1802.

30179046786_a6b4b1bbec_b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Vulcan 607 by Roland White about Black Buck raids to The Falkland Islands during the war.  Amazing book.  

Bought it after meeting Martin Withers, the pilot who flew the first raid.  And amazing and unassuming man whom you'd never guess was a hero who holds the DFC.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The Journals of Dorothy Wordsworth.......sister to the poet......William.

Wonderful 18th Century prose, from a very observant lady of her time.

my reason for acquiring the book?

I spent a few months designing and making a full set of replica 18th Century toys, dolls and games as played with by William and Dorothy as children,  for the....National Trust......Wordsworth House....in Cockermouth Cumbria.

I spent time at the house exchanging ideas with the education officer and curators, then attended the special re-opening after a major refurbishment.....the house and garden were affected by severe flooding a few years afterwards, but my toys survived.

FUJI

• Like 1

Volume 3 - Memoirs of Napoléon Bonaparte. Volume 3 considers the empire now going into serious decline. 1813 and the allies have one million troops marching on France from across Europe. The aim is to break Bonaparte and the Empire. The book finishes with Bonapartes death in 1821.

31891871855_f658eddece_b.jpg

10 hours ago, ChrisLumix said:

I'm guessing that you DIDN'T watch Episode 2 of "Time Commanders" then Kev? :laughing:

I have it still to watch this.   Being the Napoleonic fan that I am I will be watching this. I read loads about the period, not just the battles, but the politics and people that surrounded Bonaparte are very interesting in their own right. I am now quite a knowledge on this subject. It keeps my brain occupied.