Hi to all our members ... We  would just like to draw your attention to the latest post on the following link... Thank you for your attention .If you have already responded to my note  on Chatbox  about this please ignore this sticky note ... Thanks  folks ....

http://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/46369-important~-the-forum-its-future-and-finances/

Clicker and Ryewolf   ADMIN TEAM 

Regretfully we have to once again ask members for  some financial support in order to  keep TIPF  running till December 2023. The more pledges we have to become  FRIEND OF THE FORUM  the less the individual cost will be so  if you want this Forum to continue  please follow the link below  and decide  if you are able to  support us . Thank you all for your support in the past ... it has been appreciated  a great deal ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-important-notice/

Clicker and Ryewolf  ...  Admin Team 

Hi TIPFers 

I AM HERE AGAIN WITH THE  BEGGING BOWL TO ENSURE THE FORUM CAN KEEP GOING ... Please follow  below if you want to  support the continuation  of this Forum and  this  small but friendly community. 

As always your support is  both vital and appreciated ...

Clicker and Ryewolf ...

https://www.tipf.co.uk/forums/topic/57184-202223-forum-finances-update-4th-july-2023/

What are you reading?

I'm guessing we have  a decent level of literacy amongst our clan so what is currently sitting on your bedside table, the arm of your favourite chair or showing on the screen of your Kindle? - other eBook readers are available

I have recently given in and bought myself a Kindle (the 2015 Paperwhite if you need the details) and I have to say it is fantastic. The wife has had one for donkey's ages and I've kept meaning to get one but 'stuff' kept getting in the way and other shiny baubles had loomed - I won't give up on books as I love the experience but the thing is a VERY good substitute. Ultimate test was sitting in the conservatory on a bright sunny Sunday morning where it proved to be entirely glare free and very easy to juggle along side my coffee and bacon butties.

Anyhoo - books...

I was given a book called Illium by Dan Simmonds  it's a Sci-Fi novel, which I love, but based around the Trojan Wars. It had me gripped within the first few pages and I got lost in the complexity of the tale and felt lost when it ended - turns out there was a second part Olympos which I am two thirds the way through and utterly captivated by again. 

In between I devoured the latest Lee Childs - Jack Reacher book. Utter codswallop I know but I bloody love them.

Next....

I'm currentley re-reading the first four of Conn Igguldons books the first being the Wolf of the Plains, a hsitorical fiction novel about Ghengis Khan, but alsp got a few books by Bernard Cornwell, Giles Kristian, Ben Kane, Anthony Riches and Robert Low - all historical fiction. I prefer the actual books to any sort of electroic form, books don't need batteries and the worst that can happen is the spine on the book breaks but sy=till readable. Last year I read 52 books - all new ones. I'm a big reader.

I'm currentley re-reading the first four of Conn Igguldons books the first being the Wolf of the Plains, a hsitorical fiction novel about Ghengis Khan, but alsp got a few books by Bernard Cornwell, Giles Kristian, Ben Kane, Anthony Riches and Robert Low - all historical fiction. I prefer the actual books to any sort of electroic form, books don't need batteries and the worst that can happen is the spine on the book breaks but sy=till readable. Last year I read 52 books - all new ones. I'm a big reader.

Massive fan of Bernard Cornwell - love the Harlequin books and 1356.

Have you read any Ken Follet books - you might like Pillars of the Earth but be warned its a trilogy that will consume your life for the duration.

Edited by Black Pearl

I have recently given in and bought myself a Kindle (the 2015 Paperwhite if you need the details) and I have to say it is fantastic. The wife has had one for donkey's ages 

Same boat as you BP. I always thought I would prefer a 'book' but I have had my Kindle Paperwhite for a year now and love it and find I read far more than before and not just the latest block busters. Damien Boyd, Michael Connelly, Angela Marsons, Eva Hudson to name just a few. If you are looking at buying I can heartedly recommend a Kindle Paperwhite and the easy wifi download works well even in the Canaries! 

Have you read any Ken Follet books - you might like Pillars of the Earth but be warned its a trilogy that will consume your life for the duration.

Can't say that I have, will have to look out for that series. think the biggest series I've read in the last 12 months as been Simon Scarrows' The Eagle series, which at the time was 11 books, which I read one after another. It seems there's now 3 more...

• Like 1

Great fan of the Lee Childs Reacher books - no thinking required really!

Currently reading the Honour Harrington books on the kindle (Sci-Fi series from Baen Books) and in book form I'm re-reading Grotesque, by Natsuo Kirino

Just finished Johnny Walkers autobiography, I have Joshua Levines 'Operation Fortitude' to read, along with Dr Ducelliers book 'The Amiens Raid'-Secrets revealed.

Oh, and I'm a page turner, I still like the feel of a real book. My wife has a Kindle and loves it :)

Just finished a Gus Legarde mystery tonight, called "Under The Ice"

Just searched that - its going on my reading list - so are many of the others listed above.

Happy BP

Can't say that I have, will have to look out for that series. think the biggest series I've read in the last 12 months as been Simon Scarrows' The Eagle series, which at the time was 11 books, which I read one after another. It seems there's now 3 more...

Think I've read all of them but not in any particular order - tended to pick them up in charity shops as I've spotted them.

Actually talking about charity shops - they are one of my dark secrets, love a good rummage around them and are a regular port of call when visiting other towns, villages.

Edited by Black Pearl

My current project is re-reading Kate Atkinson's complete works (one of my favourite authors), but in between I'm doing non-fiction. So on my bedside table is Simon Hoggart's laugh out loud "On The House" series of Parliamentary sketches. I only have his two from the early 80s but so funny. And rather odd to be reading commentary of times I lived through, yet a world without mobile phones, computers, or digital anything. I don't suppose the House of Commons has changed much even so! 

Just searched that - its going on my reading list - so are many of the others listed above.

Happy BP

Think I've read all of them but not in any particular order - tended to pick them up in charity shops as I've spotted them.

Actually talking about charity shops - they are one of my dark secrets, love a good rummage around them and are a regular port of call when visiting other towns, villages.

Same here. I love a good charity shop.

We still have Video player as well as a DVDs player and we can pick up videos for 10p each in the MacMillan  shop. 

I get an email each day offering free and for sale books.

I have built up quite a collection on my Kobo, and also for my Kindle to read on my tablet.

it's called BookBub I'd anyone wants to join.

Edited by NannyFerret

My KOBO has just died (sob sob)

Just finished 2 great books:

Orpheus Lost by Janet Turner Hospital

and 

Cuckoo's calling by Robert Galbraith (AKA JK Rowling)

Have you tried resetting it with a pin in the tiny hole in the side?

I thought something had gone wrong with my Kobo as it went all black and wouldn't switch on, so I tried the pin method keeping the pin pressed in until the reader came back to life. 

It took quite a while of holding the pin in place, but it worked.

thanks for the tip Nanny, which I will certainly remember.

I actually got it going again. I'd tried every micro USB cord I had to recharge it (one had changed the screen and then the light went out)

today in frustration I just put it into the computer and ..... the rest is history. It is now charged and I am searching for few new books as we go away on Wednesday and will be gone for nearly 4 weeks. The Kobo is fabulous for travelling.

Thanks for all the tips, I'll be browsing this thread later tonight for some new titles. I'll let you know what I download. 

I also have a 'secret' facebook group called BOOKSPEAK. If any avid book readers are out there, just send me a message and I'll join you up. There is a great list of books with simple reviews from my friends.

• Like 1

I also have a 'secret' facebook group called BOOKSPEAK. If any avid book readers are out there, just send me a message and I'll join you up. There is a great list of books with simple reviews from my friends.

There's also Goodreads which is a great site for books and reviews. And if Library Thing is still going, that was very good too.

I'm a great Kindler as well - absolutely love it. 

Just finished 'Into Thin Air' by Jon Krakauer - an account of a 24 hour period on Everest in 1996 when things went VERY wrong. Up next is Krakauer's 'Into the Wild'.

Some great stuff to follow up in this thread - excellent.

Korky